To install your new XMP presets in Photoshop CS6, you will need to place them loosely (not in folders) into the Adobe Camera Raw Settings folder.
First you will want to locate your Adobe Camera Raw Settings folder on your computer hard drive:
- Mac Users: Users>YOUR NAME>Library>Application Support>Adobe>Camera Raw> Settings
- Windows Users: Application Data>Adobe>Camera Raw>Settings OR C: Users-[user name]>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Camera Raw>Settings
Copy and paste the .xmp presets into the Settings Folder.
Windows Users: If you are unable to find your Settings Folder, you will need to change your folder options to show hidden files and folders. See instructions here
Mac Users: If you are unable to find your Library Folder, see this article
Mac Users: If you are unable to find the Settings Folder follow the steps below:
Go to your Finder and select Go > Go to Folder from the drop-down menu. Copy and paste the following in the search box: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw/Settings
Once you are familiar with the location of this folder, you will proceed like so:
1. Download and extract your XMP preset files.
2. Locate your Adobe Camera Raw Settings Folder (as outlined above). For Mac there are extra steps to locate the correct folder, which are discussed in this video.
3. You will copy the XMP files directly into that folder (not the presets folder itself, as ACR 7.3-9.1.1 cannot read the XMPs if they are sorted into folders; They must be loosely placed directly into Camera Raw > Settings).
4. Restart Cs6.
Once restarted, you will Launch ACR, which you can do with any file type like so:
1. Select Open As...
2. Select "Camera Raw" as the Open As... file type.
3. You should see those presets in ACR under the presets tab (ACR 7.4-9.1.1)